Friday 1 June 2012

MTN’s disgusting service delivery



Over the past few weeks I have had endless drama with MTN. From being in a position where I wanted to cancel my account with them and change service providers because of their inability to explain why I am always in arrears on their billing system, to being offered a handset I have always wanted and mind you still don't have, to being in a position where I am paying them but have no handset and have no apparent recourse.

How it all started
Four weeks ago, roughly, I was in conversation with an operator at MTN regarding cancelling my contract. They inquired as to the reason behind me wanting to cancel and offered me their “unbeatable” specials. After a while, I thought why not, upgrading with them would definitely save me time it would take to get a new contract. After receiving numerous calls from the consultants I agreed to go ahead with the upgrade. Every few days I would have to call them and ask when I could come in and pick up my handset as my current contract termination date was nearing and I didn't want to be in a position where I am sitting without a phone. I would always get an excuse. And often get offered a handset that was much more expensive. This started feeling a bit strange and really didn't make sense because the offer I was made was a current special. So...how come there was always NO STOCK. Surely, if you are advertising a special you need to cater for stock sufficiently or order timeously. So, I sent a complaint though to MTN (on their website complaints section). I also decided to carry out my own investigations. I called a few branches...and what do you know? None of the branches had stock. Chatsworth, Westville (2 stores), Westwood etc. Very suspicious, it seemed. So I sent another complaint via email to all of MTN.

So, naturally frustrated, I told them not to worry. That I would acquire the handset elsewhere. This was when some actual work was carried out on their part. They called me on a Friday (25 May 2012) to say that I could come pick up a handset on 26 May 2012, (as they had sent someone to another branch and have finally located a handset for me). Fine... I went in to pick up my handset. While providing the necessary signatures, I was told that with MTN there is an upgrade fee...O-K!!! This was a huge shock as most cell phone service providers don't even charge a sim and connection fee. So, to my mind, it would be more beneficial financially, to cancel your contract and get a new one. This seemed like a total money-making scheme to me.

The initial problem
Anyway, I take the handset back home and start the mandatory charge. 2 hours later I notice that the phone isn’t charging. So I assume that there is probably something wrong with the plug point. So I try charging the phone at several plug points around the house – ALL DON’T SEEM TO WORK. I wait, and the next day, I try a friend’s charger. That eventually works. At this point I know that some contents of the package are faulty. I try the USB and that seems to work. I lay a complaint with MTN, yet again. I mean, I am not going to keep a phone that obviously isn’t in 100% working order. So, a consultant tells me to bring in the accessories and since there is a 7-day return policy, I can exchange the phone for a new one. (Please note that in all of this I speak to another person at MTN who tells me that the phone will still work and the mandatory “initial charge” isn’t that important. Here, I have a “WTF” moment – if it isn’t compulsory why is recommended, you fool). Next, I get another call saying that there isn’t any stock of the phone. So what do I do now??? Am I expected to stay without a phone while MTN continues to bill me for a service they are clearly not providing!!!
I was later advised that they could cancel this contract and I could continue using my sim card on my old phone as the old contract only expires on 9 June 2012. However (and get this) I must pay for BIS AGAIN. So, I queried this. It appears that according to MTN, I am going to be billed for the full contract price, for 24 months, for my old contract ending in June, BUT I must pay AGAIN to reinstate the BIS on my phone. The guys I now spoke to at MTN gave me lip and had a terrible attitude. They said that I had chosen to upgrade to so they cancelled my BIS. And, if I want it again I need to pay. I couldn’t understand why but was advised that this was the only way. I sent ANOTHER complaint to MTN. Please note that at this point I have not received a single phone call from MTN to explain any of this, much less offer an apology.

In steps MTN Chatsworth
Samantha from the MTN Chatsworth branch advised that I should visit MTN Pavilion, to give back the phone and, afterward, cancelling the contract was entirely up to me if I was not pleased with the service MTN provided.  Visiting the store was the single biggest mistake I made!!!!! Firstly, the people I was supposed to meet (Ashley) was the rudest person at the store. He brushed me and my husband off saying he was “too busy for us” and “can someone else please handle this”...to my fucking face. Now, I completely understand that being service providers, you are bound to be busy. But....surely being in a customer-facing environment, you should display some tact and respect a customer. I was not impressed with his condescending attitude. Still, I spoke to an indian girl at the counter. That was my second mistake. Because obviously trying to explain MY billing details to ME was way too burdensome on her poor soul. As if her rolling eyes and patronising tone wasn’t enough, I had to also deal with her unhelpful attitude.

 It gets better
Apparently, she couldn’t guarantee me that my new upgrade hadn’t gone through. This is something else I couldn’t understand, as the MTN billing ends on the 20th of every month. So, to my mind, there was ample time for MTN to cancel the upgrade because it obviously didn't go through as yet. Also, adding to this, I didn't receive airtime etc for my new package so this reinstated the fact that everything could be reversed reasonably easily. The girl also mentioned that MTN Chatsworth had to keep an eye on their billing and reverse the charges immediately to avoid me being billed my new “contract fee” + upgrade fee. And, it actually gets more sickening than this, because apparently the “system” will most certainly take off the money and I will get it back....BUT...they can’t guarantee when and it will take more than 21 consecutive working days. At this point I lost it.

If you think that’s bad
I get a call on 30 May 2012, from a person from MTN Pietermaritzburg (Gugu), to inform me that I now need to sign forms and send it through to cancel my contract/migrate to prepaid etc AGAIN. I ALREADY DID THIS AT THE STORE RETARDS!! I don't understand why I should constantly be picking up after MTN whenever they decide that they don't want to do their work.  Gugu also advised that the girl at MTN did not do her job properly (surprise, surprise). And that I should go BACK to the store to correct what they did. I advised the lady on the phone that there was NO WAY I was going to face those wretched people one more time. ALSO, who the hell is going to reimburse me for the petrol it takes me to constantly drive back and forth between several MTN branches – to sort out their mess!!! I don't mean to sound petty but, MTN is billing me left, right and centre for every charge they can find....why shouldn't I do the same??

Icing on the cake
She further advises that there was a huge error on my account. That she couldn’t confirm any of the amounts that will come off. That I will get my money back – but she’s not sure when. That the last fee for my old contract amount will come off end May. That the new contract amounts and upgrade fees (for a contract and phone I don't have) will come off end of June 2012. That she isn’t sure of the total/final charges. AND that since I chose to initially upgrade on a promotional handset, even if they pay me back it’s going to be minus a promotional fee. So the burning question....for fucking what???????? You should certainly charge me if you have actually provided a bloody service. Not for giving me the run-around, being rude, unhelpful, incompetent and a bunch of inefficient goats. If you are expecting me to be sorry about my insults then you are barking up the wrong tree. I am up to my wits end with you people. I have had enough!!

Cherry on top off the cake
I asked MTN if there was anyway I could stop them taking the money off my account unnecessarily. Firstly, “that’s what the computer does”, is what I got told. “Yes, because you are a flock of sheep who can’t possibly step out of your comfort zones, off your arses, to go the extra mile and assist a customer”, is what I thought. I mean why do you actually have to do some work when you are programmed to say “the computer says so”. I also offered to stop my debit orders and pay my account in cash every month to prevent the unnecessary debits and credits. To which the lady on the phone replied that I have that option but remember that MY name will get into disrepute with the credit bureau – it will affect my credit history and rating, and that in the end basically I’ll suffer. So....the solution...let MTN do whatever the fuck they want!!!

Consumer Protection Act (See Part G onward)
Could someone please tell me why the hell this piece of legislation was even promulgated? I am an ex-law student and know this Act inside out. Yet, service providers like MTN who are supposed to have this document stamped to their foreheads seem to have forgotten every rule in it. MTN seems to be under the misconception that they are exempt from it and also above the law, so much so, that my constitutionally protected and legislative rights are just water under the bridge for them.

What did I expect from MTN
For starters, a call would be nice. The decent thing would be to call me and at least try to offer some sort of assistance. I know that this is probably something foreign to you. Still, customer satisfaction should mean something to you.

...I will blow a fuse if someone tells me that they were not aware of what was going on. I sent emails to everyone. From www.mtnsp.co.za, to webmastermtnsp@mtn.co.za, to Prince Khumalo, Billy-Jean Peters, Elton Williams, Siyabonga Langeni and Farzanah Karriem, all of whom were useless in trying to assist me. Then comes into the picture Gugu (dlamin_g@mtn.co.za) who explained a lot of the details to me and advised a senior named Anderson would call me to rectify things and make my journey from hereon a little smoother, since what I have gone through this far is not acceptable in terms of standards (which I have yet to see). Several hours have passed since my conversation with Gugu and surprise, surprise AGAIN, not a single call has come through from MTN. And I highly doubt it will. Maybe Anderson is trying to save the planet. Because what else could be more important than doing your job???

My issues
·         MTN has constantly provided a slapdash service to me.
·         MTN advised that they will take money off my account and can’t tell me when I’ll get my refund.
·         They will take off random amounts before my refund, which doesn’t make sense to me, and they can't viably explain it.
·         They have treated me rudely and inappropriately up to this point.
·         They can't effectively explain why my statements are constantly in arrears, in spite of me paying my account duly, every month.
·         Their attitudes leave much to be desired.
·         They basically told me they ARE going to take my money and there is nothing I can do about it, unless I want to get my name listed as a bad payer in the credit bureau.
·         They will give me back all monies due to me, at some point, but can't guarantee exactly when.
·         I can't cancel my debit order.
·         Not a single reply to five of my complaints thus far.
·         No apology yet.

So, I guess, me waiting for a response to this letter is similar to a dog chasing a car it doesn’t intend on catching. I won't hold my breath for a speedy resolution either as the service above speaks volumes about how much MTN actually cares about their customers. Be rest assured though, that every person I come into contact with will know of the terrible service I have received from you and no friend or family of mine will ever take out a contract with you EVER, much less upgrade.

Follow Facebook & Twitter for more of my thoughts on MTN's activities, ethics & acumen.


Disgusted at the service MTN provides

-S






2 comments:

PK said...

Really strong language ... Can't compete with my language though :) okay, jokes aside - Awesome article! I feel your pain. My MTN invoice states I owe double the monthly amount yet when I questioned it (a year back), it was said to be a "system error". Apart from that, i almost had my credit rating demolished by MTN because of non-payment ... So I ask the ###,"how can there non-payment, when YOU supposed to debit my account?" The answer I got back? Guessed right, "system error".

Your funds, if you are still canceling, that is - I had insurance companies debit my account and told me I had to wait a minimum of 30 days before I got my money back. So I did some research with my bank (FNB) and a friend who's into Law like you. The day the money is taken from your account, can be placed back. All I did was spend an extra 5mins filling out a "Debit order of dispute" form and faxing it to my bank. Since it is a cancellation, you WILL NOT be placed under any bad payers lists. Actually, a lot of financial institutions recommended this, one of them being FNB :)

Hope all goes well!

Sam said...

These people are amazing (and not in a good way). To put the cherry on the top - they are now in the news for bribery...lol...Bunch of assholes!!!