Tuesday 22 May 2012

Forget him, focus on you!!


I recently tied the proverbial knot to my high school sweetheart. Guys, I must say that marriage may very well just be the best thing that has ever happened to me. That being said, I enjoy really those stolen moments to myself. Not picking up after someone, or tidying up the kitchen, or doing the laundry...How many of you out there can relate?

It’s so easy to lose yourself to someone...even easier to convince yourself that you are OK with doing just that! Do I have news for you! Watching that very scenario play out in other relationships has taught me not to make the same mistake – that means, loving ME.



To love me, I have to find ME
Don't get me wrong, I love my husband. He completes me & makes my life so meaningful... BUT Ladies, let’s face it, it’s not an obedient, slaving, “replacement for a mother” that he fell in love with, is it? It’s that feisty tigress, who is opinionated and loud, who makes him laugh, and who challenges his status quo to make him discover himself that he wants to be with. I’m sure you are similar in the things that count...you should be. But don’t lose yourself & start to emulate your partner...else, he may as well be married to, or date, himself.

I was lunching with friends, when we started discussing the things we do, when it’s just USJ
Try a few:

·         Don’t bother combing your hair or using makeup
·         Try a facialJ you’ll feel like a million bucks
·         Walk around naked (after you get over the awkwardness, the freedom will be exhilarating)
·         Throw away the stuff he has been hoarding. It’s therapeutic
·         Wash your car... finally, it’s “your” time to enjoy that Lady
·         Leave stuff lying around in the house, and say to yourself “you’ll stay there until I say so”
·         Eat all the junk food you want (no guilt)
·         Listen to "girly" music real loud & dance around the house, singing really loud (even if you are outta tune)
·         Eat all the Lindt by yourself (they weren’t meant for sharing anyway)
·         Watch tear-jerker romantic comedies (Notebook, The Vow). You can salivate over Channing Tatum all you want without feeling guilty. And, you won’t feel like slitting your wrists at the sight of a skinny, barber-doll heroine, whom you loathe for being so miserably perfect
·         Hog the remote (**evil laugh**)



You don't have to predict his every move or even be perfect . . . be you!! Any chance that I get to be on my own – is my time. My time to indulge and let it loose! To be silly and give him a chance to miss me!! Look, I get that some couples are very “close-knit”, to say the least. But Ladies, remember that you can only be your best, as a partner, if you know who you are. You can also catch my articles at www.all4women.co.za

-Sam


No comments: