Tuesday 24 April 2012

THE HELP “Change begins with a whisper" Review by Emma Davis


Hey friends,

A bestie of mine took the liberty of writing you guys a movie review. Now, after reading this I definitely wanna watch this movie. Enjoy!!


“It took me far too long to watch “The Help”...I’ve been saying I’ll watch it for ages but never got around to it and throughout the Awards season with 39 wins & 54 nominations, I just knew I had to watch this one. For those who haven’t seen it yet, you have to and if you don’t have a movie buddy then I will offer my company because it certainly is not a movie I will only watch once. A bit of background to start, the film (based on the novel by Kathryn Stockett) follows an aspiring author, Skeeter Phelan, played by Emma Stone, who, during the 1960s, decides to write a tell-all book detailing the African-American maids' point of view on the white families for which they work, and the struggles they go through on a daily basis. Skeeter discovers, to put it bluntly, all the shit that these maids have to put up with and in turn helps “the help” have a voice.

 
Now I’m not going to babble on too much about the actual story line because I will bore those that have watched it or ruin it for those who haven’t. Instead I’ll just rave on about some other stuff. Firstly, the cast is phenomenal and each character plays their role to the “T”. I love Emma Stone and even though she plays Skeeter superbly and is an absolute force to be reckoned with in Hollywood at the young age of 22, it is Viola Davis (Aibileen Clark) and Octavia Spencer (Minny Jackson) who steal the show! The sassy, driven Minny and the emotionally wounded, caring Aibileen draw you into the life of an ill-treated maid in the 60s. Jessica Chastain trades in her ginger locks for a bottle blonde do to play the role of Celia Foot, the ditsy, kind-hearted country girl who blurs the lines society has set. Her character, my favourite in the film, is so loveable and fun yet at the same time evokes a sense of pathos as she tries her utmost to fit in while struggling with personal issues, all the while, bucking the system and forming a friendship with her “help”.
 

I love watching movies (who doesn’t?!) but if a movie doesn’t grip my attention the whole way through then my eye constantly checks out the clock but with “The Help” I didn’t once think it was dragging. I was gripped for all 146 minutes of it. In that time, all emotions are visited, from shame to pride, sympathy and sadness to anger and joy and most certainly a few tears were shed and giggles were had.
 

As you will learn with my movie reviews to follow (let’s hope), I love quotes and will throw them in as much as I can. There will always be AT LEAST one quote that will stand out for me in a movie and I’m going to leave you with this one from “The Help”, said by Aibileen every morning to the little girl, Mae Mobley, “You is kind. You is smart. You is important.”…remember that and WATCH THE MOVIE! Utter brilliance!"


And there you have it guys, that’s Emma Davis for you, movie critic & social media expert. Follow her on the Twitter account @justlunchsa to read more of her awesome work. Now, I have the privilege of working alongside her as well as another brilliant soul, Don Dinnematin, on Just Lunch. Catch the madness on http://www.wix.com/justlunchsa/just-lunch

Keep following me and you will see a lot more from this awesome writer:)

-Sam

No comments: